| 0 comments ]

She was a girl with a blank look yesterday at Borders. I was in a hurry to find the perfect birthday present for my friend Roxanne and I’d already spent two hours at World Market and struck out. While I was looking for the spiral bound Betty Crocker Cookbook I knew Roxanne wanted the picture of that girl’s face in the religion section kept going through my head.


Something I’ve been working on for years and reeeeally really wanting is to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit and how He leads and directs me to talk to people, etc. I felt something in the pit of my stomach (and for once in the past three days it wasn’t from my small bought with food poisoning).


Walking back to the religion section I didn’t know what to do, what to say… I mean my entire life seems to revolve around words and sentences and having things interesting to talk about (well hopefully). Out of my mouth came ‘hey what are you reading?’ I kinda instantly thought ‘wow that was lame’ but she held up a book that was a sort of cliff notes version of world religions. Personally, ‘world religion’ was one of my favorite classes in college so I knew that’s how God was getting me into this discussion. (God’s cool like that! Ha!)


After a few seconds of me pretending to look at books while she talked she mentioned something about finding one that ‘sticks’. Right there in the Border’s religion section the often tongue tied Betsy got to share about finding not only something to believe in, or something that ‘sticks’ but about a man that ‘stuck’ to a cross because He knew me and knew her and didn’t want either of us to suffer separation from His Father.


It wasn’t me talking. That’s for sure. But now I see that it was my willingness to be used. I don’t know where she’ll end up. I didn’t tell her that she needed to make a choice right then and there and just reminded her that God says ‘if you seek me you will find me’.


I guess I’m finding out more and more each day that if I, as a follower of Christ want to change the world like I say I do, I’ve got to be real and I’ve GOT to let Him lead… even if I do get so pumped up that I end up leaving Borders without a Betty Crocker Cookbook and have to grab something else for our friend Roxanne’s birthday.

0 comments

Post a Comment