…but words will never hurt me. Ok—who came up with that? Whoever it was must have been the ultimate liar. I’m not sure that I’ve ever met a single person that hasn’t ever been affected by harsh words.
Words are so powerful. They can bring life or death. One time at a conference, I heard a woman said that she had never physically killed another human with a physical weapon or anything crazy like that… but… her words had slaughtered several.
Maybe if I pull back and give the example of a puppy: Cute, cuddly, awwww… well when you give a puppy correction, and in fact over correct it you can physically see how its ears slump forward, its eyes look weeping and his once vibrant wagging tail is tucked between his legs. Now, as humans we don’t have tails (thank you Lord!) but we hunch over and crawl inside ourselves inwardly when those words strike through our very being.
Sometimes… *I think* it can even come down to words not spoken. Those things you either wish to hear and you sit at the edge of your seat waiting to hear and then slump back down after the moments over and you realize that as reality sets in, it’s just not going to happen.
Last night I was watching American Idol… I can’t imagine what it was like for David Cook to hear Simon Cowell tell him he was brilliant. Wow. I also can’t begin to think of how after being all smiles singing her song, Syesha Mercado felt hearing that she’d missed the mark and wasn’t good enough.
Although I’d like to think that I’m no where near as ruthless as Simon is at times, you can’t help but wonder how your words might be affected those around you.
0 comments
Post a Comment