| 0 comments ]

If you’re anything like me you probably spend a little time each day just surfing around the net reading a few random news stories, and today – not so random – but there’s a health story on msn.com that caught my eye.

The article in question (ha) is named ‘8 secrets of the naturally slim’… and of course I laughed a little but clicked and skimmed over it and since being in the InShape Challenge the one secret that I could really agree with was the secret of being ‘satisfied over stuffed’. For instance, last night I was making some food to freeze for some friends that just had a baby and I made a little extra for me and it wasn’t much, just 2/3 of a bowlful, but it was good healthy food so it was way more satisfying where before I’d have probably had two helpings or something less nutritious.

It’s funny how we think that eating fast is better than eating right. It’s a real pitfall. Because the truth is the dish I made for my friends to freeze was a low-fat spaghetti casserole and took about an hour to prepare AND cook and while it was in the oven I totally watched American Idol and cleaned my kitchen. It’s the actual ‘doing’ that we have to get past.

I’m not sure if it’s that we are actually lazy or that we are uninformed. I know for myself, I LOVE to cook, but until lately I didn’t have the tools (good recipes, cooking stuff, etc) and whenever I’d see people cooking it seemed like such a big undertaking and so overwhelming that I rarely did it myself, although when I did I loved it. There’s also a weird certain kind of joy from making/cooking your own food. It’s kinda like… ‘hey I made that… and that’s goooood!’ Maybe that’s part of the satisfaction the article was talking about…

0 comments

Post a Comment